Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act 2012
The Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act, 2012 is a special law to protect children from sexual abuse and exploitation. The Act along with Rules has come into effect from 14th November 2012. Further various steps have been taken up by the Government to ensure better implementation of the Act and State Commissions for Protection of Child Rights (SCPCR) have been designated the role of monitoring authority under the Act. The main objective of this Act is to protect children from offences of sexual assault, sexual harassment and pornography and provide for establishment of special Courts for trial of such offences. Section 44 of this Act provides monitoring power to the State Commission for Protection of Child Rights with regard to its implementation. 1. To monitor in the implementation of Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO)Act, 2012. 2. To monitor the designation of Special Courts by State Governments. 3. To monitor the appointment of Public Prosecutors by State Governments. 4. To monitor the formulation of the guidelines described in section 39 of the Act by the State Governments, for the use of non-governmental organizations, professionals and experts or persons having knowledge of psychology, social work, physical health, mental health and child development to be associated with the pre-trial and trial stage to assist the child, and to monitor the application of these guidelines.
HSCPCR organised the following activities in regard to the above Act:
• State Level Leadership Summit on Gender Based Violence
• Preparation and Launching of E-Module for prevention of Child Sexual Abuse titled “Satark Main, Surakshit Main”for different stages of human life span i.e. module for children (06-10), adolescents (11- 18), adults citizens and the last module is meant for supervisors and trainers which are under process.
• Suo Moto cognizance of Cases of Child sexual abuse
• Inquiry into cases of Child sexual abuse
• Preparation of awareness generation material